Monday, January 15, 2007

Ice Storm

No snow this year, which is great if you're not a skier, like me (not a skier, that is). But now this? Since January 1 I have been conscientiously walking at least 10,000 steps a day, as measured by my pedometer. Yesterday the sidewalks were slippy and scary, and by 11 p.m. when my weekly Game Night came to its exhausted end (Scrabble tournament, bridge, hearts, lots of pizza and yelling and a nice fire in the fireplace) I discovered I had only 6,500 steps or so.
So I went out for a walk. It wasn't too cold, but the ice was starting and I walked in the streets instead of on the sidewalks, since that felt safer. At one point I police car cruised past, and I wondered what I would say if, for some reason, they stopped to speak to me, "Well, I have to get up to 10,000 before midnight, officer, so I'm carefully walking in the dark, on an icy night. It's a goal, you see."
I went back in when I reached 8,200 and walked the remaining 1,800 steps in the house. I reached 10,000 at 6 minutes before midnight.
Now we have a crazy glaze of ice out there. How will I do 10,000 steps today? I guess I could go to a mall and walk inside. What a dreary prospect. Best Blogger Tips
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Bookmark Gadgets

No comments: